Ships in class (2)
Disp: 39,453 tons full load
SHP: 112,000 (4 shafts)
Top Speed Trials: 30 knots
Main: 4 - 14"" in triple mounts
Sec: 20 - 5" in twin mounts
Light AAW: 48 - 25mm in triple mounts
F/D LOA: 451'-0"
F/D WOA: 100'-0"
By 1938 the IJN began to realise that their four oldest battlewagons would not be fit to fight
a battle with the ships rolling out of the yards of the USN. The Ise, Hyuga
Fuso and Yamashiro
were heavily gunned, but poorly protected for attack from enemy battleships and the new threat of
aircraft. It was decided to remove the two center turrets on all four ships (the turrets were
slated to be used for the
ships) and machinery, armor and additional AAW were to be installed.
When the ships emerged from their modernization they were more lightly armed (8 - 14" guns instead
of the designed 12 - 14" guns, but their deck and torpedo protection doubled around the ships
vitals, speed was increased from 24 knots on a good day to 31 knots and the AAW were augmented
considerably. After the destruction of Aircraft Carrier fleet at Midway in 1942 the Japanese took
the Ise and Hyuga in hand for conversion into hybrid carrier / battleships. The main concern was
designing the ships so aircraft could be handled and launched in the conventional method while still
allowing the battleship guns to function. Several designs were laid down and the one finally chosen
produced a ship able to carry a substantial number of aircraft and still train the two remaining
14" turrets 180'. The bridge was placed to starboard and the funnel was trunked to port. Although
the ships were functional, they were an eye sore. Never finding itself in the position to fire their
guns in anger the ships would have been better off becoming full carriers or not converted at all.